Basic in securing a LAN

From: muchar78@wp.pl
Date: 05/03/02

Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 12:22:25 +0200
From: muchar78@wp.pl
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

Hello ,

  I have a little problem in securing a network. It's all based on
  public IP's (so basicly each computer may be a server of any
  kind...), and there is a mail server in the LAN too. My problem is,
  that I would like to switch to private IP's and put it all behind a
  firewall. There is no possibility for me to do it during one day, so
  I have to do it slowly, computer after computer. During that time,
  the mail server needs to be accessed both by the "new" IP's and the
  old ones. It's a Windows NT4.0 with Exchange 5.5 on it. How can I do
  that, without any problems? Is there any way I could assign two IP
  numbers to the mailserver (one public IP and one private IP)? If any
  questions, then I'm waiting.

--
Best regards,
 MuchaR

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Sendmail problem
    ... machines to my mail server (OK, right now it seems it is just my ... When it gets to my mail server, ... network when hostnames resolve to the localhost address. ... If something goes into localhost that needs to actually leave the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: multiple instances of NTP on different interfaces
    ... but that instance would become a pure server. ... We have a requirement for NTP service for two different networks: ... , private. ... Be aware that if the hope is that the private network be immune to ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • AW: IIS6 on W2k3 DCs
    ... >network and you are running some n-tier system and you have a tight budget. ... So much for the Web server ... >that is not exposed (inside your private network). ... IIS & DC, DMZ, internal network ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Private Address Spaces
    ... > I can't quite get the difference between Address spaces, private address ... Private = a resource (e.g. a network, network address, or even telephone) ... file & print server in the bowels of the Accounting department], ... Adding a header with the original poster's address was a way to ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • PIX config , pls advice
    ... properly configured through static maps and conduits in PIX ... Network setup goes like this: ... PIX located in n/w1 and mail server is located in n/w5 which has internal IP ...
    (Security-Basics)