RE: Home Security.

From: Serge van Ginderachter (Serge@vanGinderachter.be)
Date: 05/01/02

From: "Serge van Ginderachter" <Serge@vanGinderachter.be>
To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 20:53:48 +0200

> 1) What is the best operating system / firewall software
> combination to use on the firewall machine? (I think i'd
> prefer to use a MS product though)

Linux is. you might consider a specific distro like IPcop
(www.ipcop.org), you don't need much *nix knowledge, and administration
occurs through a web interface

> 2) My ADSL line which connects to the firewall uses USB, so
> is it still a router? since it doesn't have 2 NIC's.....

I don't think it is. Your FW will need to act as a router. I think IPcop
supports this. OPtherwise have a look at Smoothwall.org

> 3) Obviously, my firewall machine will have to act as a
> router, so what is the best software to use to achieve this?

See above

> 3) I've got Win 2000 Server as my server machine, but I can't
> seem to Install any Anti-Viral software or Firewall
> software... Is this just my machine, or is it a problem with Win 2000?

Definitely your machine/install...

> 4) If I want to make my network secure, is there any other
> products I should invest in, besides Anti-Virus and Firewall software?

> 5) Lastly, what would I need (besides telnet) to use to
> access my Linux box from the server securely? (If the server
> is an MS-OS) would Exceed do it?

Use SSH, as a windows client use putty.exe (Google to find it...)

Serge

Relevant Pages

  • Re: loss of SOME connectivity
    ... I "think" it is DNS. ... Yes, I can ping the router, AND the ISP DNS. ... I cannot connect the inet cable directly to the server because the inet is ... MS firewall not started. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IP Addressing
    ... Address of the ISA server? ... firewall and router). ... On the firewall create a static NAT entry as I wrote ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... Re-running the CEICW, disabling the firewall, then re-running CEICW again, ... "Cannot find server or DNS Error". ... the DSL router 4-port switch. ... of the two NICs by clicking the Advanced tabs, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: VPN suggestions requested
    ... > connecting to the Internet through a cheap basic broadband router. ... necessarily mean you have to pop in a firewall, ... also mean only to secure the W2K server. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: CEICW fails at firewall config
    ... Do you or do you not have ISA 2000 or ISA 2004 installed on the SBS server? ... Do you have 2 NICs in the SBS? ... CEICW fails on firewall configuration every time. ... >>> Call to Creating the protected networks access rule returned ok. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)