RE: Home Security.

From: Faulconer, Steven M. (STEVEN.M.FAULCONER@saic.com)
Date: 05/01/02

From: "Faulconer, Steven M." <STEVEN.M.FAULCONER@saic.com>
To: "'Security-basics@securityfocus.com'" <Security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:45:42 -0700

You might want to look at something like OpenBSD for your Firewall. Its
pretty secure, and pretty simple to use. Also, any Unix-based OS will handle
routing out of the box. I think Windows offers something, but I'm not very
familiary with Windows.

For the Virus software, I've got Norton installed on Windows 2000 server at
my house, and it works fine. Perhaps its an incompatibility problem?

For futher security, it depends. You could increase the host-based security
of your systems with things like tcp_wrappers, you can also used secure
communication software to talk between your hosts, like ssh, scp, sftp. This
ties into your remote access. Exceed 7.1 I believe supports SSH for access,
so it could be acceptable, but there are some free software packages for
windows to do the same.

Hope that helps some.

Steven