Re: Nessus follow up question.

Date: 03/21/02

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:11:57 -0500

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 09:48:56AM -0800, Bejon Parsinia wrote:
> Here is what I would suggest. Definitely go with dual boot over a virtual
> OS installation. Why? I've used VMWare and I've used Virtual PC, neither
> of them allow any kind of real performance. Case in point, I have a P4 1.6
> GHz PC with 512 MB of RAM, the guest OS always ran poorly. No matter how I
> allocated my resources, I had next-to-zero performance.

I've got an Athlon 750 with 768 MB of RAM, and I've found VMWare 3.0
to work great. if you give the Guest OS a lot of RAM (in my case, 256
MB), it works fine. Multimedia stuff is a little choppy, but that's
about it. The Samba stuff always hit the machine a little hard, though
when loading a lot of different files (e.g. browsing a directory in
ACDSee with thumbnails turned on). When I had to do the ACDSee thing,
I eventually set up a fat32 drive for VMWare to read from raw, and it
got a lot better. Less disk-intensive stuff is unnoticable.

> Now, for my suggested software, take a look at Partition Magic (which comes
> with Bootmagic as I recall). This is a GREAT utility to have. It can
> perform NTFS-FAT32 FAT32-NTFS transitions and more. Not only that, but it
> handles disk partitioning much better than Windows does on any day of the
> week. A clear choice for partitioning your hard drive in my opinion. And,
> Bootmagic will definitely be a plus when you setup the dual boot. It is a
> commercial app, but it is one I have happily forked over the cash for.

I've always found lilo to be great on its own for the boot stuff. I love
PQMagic, but I prefer using the linux boot utils. Word of caution if you
use lilo and Partition Magic on the same machine: Anything that PQMagic
needs to reboot for and run while the machine is basically off-line,
will require re-running lilo to install it again, so keep a boot CD handy.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [kde-linux] grub and grub2
    ... original grub, but Korora boots off of grub2. ... I like the PCLOS boot screen. ... the grub1 installation on one disk alone until I was totally comfortable ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... No one has said either yes or no to the proposed installation as described ... just disconnect the already installed Vista drive, then plug in the blank HDD ... the first of the boot options if it detects WinXP already installed on the ... The System Partition must be a primary partition and marked Active ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Instructions
    ... All you really need to do then is to update the startup files on your first HDD. ... Leave the first HDD connected, with the System Partition on it - and WinXP somewhere on that HDD, too. ... Boot from your Vista DVD and click Repair your computer. ... No one has said either yes or no to the proposed installation as described ...
  • Re: XP Boot Issues ...
    ... button), lately I seem to have to boot once in SAFE MODE, then a 2nd ...  Trouble is, when I run CHKDSK, windows ... Windows XP Pro install CD, do a Repair install to find and replace any ... bootable XP installation CD. ...
  • Re: boot sector f*ed
    ... "I updated the machine and it doesn't boot anymore". ... 875P NeoFisr motherboard running on a Pentium 3.0ghz CPU; ... Please capture the output from running fdisk and bsdlabel on the problem disk ... anyway - I tried booting a minimal installation on the 2.4ghz machine ...