Re: Netscape Communicator vs IE

From: dumbwabbit (dumbwabbit@yahoo.com)
Date: 03/14/02

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:41:52 -0800 (PST)
From: dumbwabbit <dumbwabbit@yahoo.com>
To: Gilles Poiret <poiret.gilles@wanadoo.fr>, SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com

Heh, the fact that Microsoft even has to release
patches, whereas the security vulnerabilities related
to Netscape come every.... 6 months to a year? Which
seems to be a more stable, secure application in this
light?

Makes Netscape my favorite.
4.79 baby. 6 is OK, nice email features, no Microsoft
vulns...

Just disable Javascript in Mail and News, and you
should be pretty well off in terms of browsing safety
in comparison to IE... the biggest PITA with IE is
locking everything down, and then figuring out exactly
which features you need enabled... I gave up on that
long ago. I now only use IE to play with the latest
exploits... and Office and Windows Updates.

Heh, I won't even visit FilePlanet with IE... just
don't trust it.

Opera is a nice browser methinks, but I don't know
enough about it's architecture yet. 1 vuln for them in
the last year or so that I have heard of.

--- Gilles Poiret <poiret.gilles@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like your advice about security aspects,
> concerning IE (e.g 5.5) vs Netscape Communicator
> (e.g 4.7x).
>
> I *very often* heard problems with IE, and Outlook.
> But Microsoft provides patches (for instance, a
> patch for Outlook to block dangerous attachments),
> and permits to control the surf (web site access,
> allow or not downloading,...) with IE.
> At the opposite, I never (since version 4.77) heard
> about security problem for Netscape Communicator.
> But to my knowledge, there is no embedded mechanism
> of protection in this browser.
>
> So I'm wondering what is the best (safest) browser,
> concerning security. Same thing for mail client
> (outlook vs messenger)...
>
> For the moment, I think IE is safer (due to patches,
> and ability to control). If you have another
> opinion, please tell it me.
>
> Thanks for advance.
>
> --
> Gilles POIRET

http://sports.yahoo.com/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... >>> I looked at the Microsoft Security Website. ... >> before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... >> new patches that are missing, ...
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... > [for MS MBSA Baseline Security Analyzer] ... Get a firewall or two as well, ... >>> new patches that are missing, ... >>> software installed on your computer, especially Microsoft Windows, ...
  • Re: Should I install SP1 for Win 7?
    ... Actually if you had decades of experience with patches, ... and every computer security company and professional out there? ... Just look at Microsoft for example. ... There was no way to even install updates as they just wouldn't fit ever! ...
  • Re: Should I install SP1 for Win 7?
    ... Actually if you had decades of experience with patches, ... and every computer security company and professional out there? ... Just look at Microsoft for example. ... There was no way to even install updates as they just wouldn't fit ever! ...
  • Re: Ithis microsoft security site?
    ... patches or any type of updates attached to email. ... http://microsoft.com/technet/security is authoritative for all security ... >> Microsoft Corporation Network Technical Services ... Install now to protect your computer ...
    (microsoft.public.security)