Re: Report Software

From: Radoslav DejanoviŠ (radoslav.dejanovic@zagreb.hr)
Date: 03/12/02

From: Radoslav DejanoviŠ <radoslav.dejanovic@zagreb.hr>
To: Guilherme Chapiewski <guilherme@actech.com.br>, Security Focus <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:22:07 +0100

On Saturday 09 March 2002 13:00, Guilherme Chapiewski wrote:
> I work at a company that have no control of its internet usage.
>
> I want some access report like sites visited, bandwidth used, and would
> be very nice if I could set quota, deny or permit sites, etc.
> I have Solaris and Win2K servers. My router is a Cisco and I have no
> hard firewall.

Try with Squid - it's an http proxy with lot of features, including access
control lists, traffic shaper, and lots of other tools to monitor
bandwidth and user activity (in a basic form), usage, make pretty graphs,
etc. One caveat, however, is that you must force the company to use it as
a proxy for all computers on the network, or if you can control network
equipment you can make transparent proxy so people won't even know they're
using a proxy. Take a look at http://www.squid-cache.org
Software might look kinda scary at the beginning, but you'll get used to
it pretty quickly.

--
Radoslav Dejanovic
Senior Associate to Mayor's Office

Relevant Pages

  • WWWOFFLE - Web proxy with features for dial-up users
    ... The WWWOFFLE programs simplify World Wide Web browsing from computers that use ... - Control which pages are not to be stored in the cache. ... - Requests compressed pages from web servers. ... - Automatic proxy configuration for Netscape. ...
    (comp.os.linux.announce)
  • Re: Proxy for external users
    ... Maybe another proxy only ... Seems a much better configuration would be a VPN, ... Then you could control them exactly like ... The routing and remote access snapin for W2K is ...
    (microsoft.public.isa)
  • Re: Site not viewable in China
    ... Associates, BPCA, pest management, control de plagas, rodent control, ... I can provide a password-protected proxy if you like. ... Why do you think the keywords are fishy? ... can use my server to browse 'bad neighbourhoods' and lead me to trouble. ...
    (uk.net.web.authoring)
  • Re: Site not viewable in China
    ... Associates, BPCA, pest management, control de plagas, rodent control, bird ... I can provide a password-protected proxy if you like. ... can use my server to browse 'bad neighbourhoods' and lead me to trouble. ... has not yet been banned in China. ...
    (uk.net.web.authoring)
  • Re: Loading HTML elements from memory
    ... I got the proxy working on the web control with the following code. ... I had my proxy calling itself ad infinitum when it missed the database. ...
    (microsoft.public.inetsdk.programming.webbrowser_ctl)