Re: RE: Encryption Basics

From: Bill Barrett (bill_barrett@uhaul.com)
Date: 02/28/02

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:46:52 -0700
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
From: "Bill Barrett" <bill_barrett@uhaul.com>

jimpop@rocketship.com writes:
> [...]
Ah yes. Nothing like a spurious comparison to sum up ones point.

        Look everyone has to start out some where. Those of us that have been in
the field for a while had a much better time of it than somebody who is
just starting out today. When someone asks the question of "does anybody
know a good (inset query here)" chances are they a) are new or
inexperienced b) have already looked at Google or some other source and c)
been overwhelmed at the incredibly large number of hits. What they are
asking is for us to point them in the right direction and help them
separate the wheat from the chaff.
        As we all know there are lots of "security" sites out there that give
absolutely no information or even worse will give information that is
misleading or just plain wrong. Do you really want people that are
interested in security learning from GRC?
        I am not saying that you need to do somebodies work for them, but it
takes the same amount of time to type in the address of counterpane labs
(http://www.counterpane.com/labs.html) as the one for Google and at least
you are giving some information to point them in the right direction.
They can take it from there themselves.
        If you want to keep all your precious links to yourself then fine do
that. But don't waste the bandwidth to point out the obvious.

In other words if you have nothing to contribute then don't. And the next
person who whines about the lack of knowledge of people getting into the
field and then posts a link to Google should be LARTed. big time.

-B

Relevant Pages

  • Re: fetch content from google results
    ... Morals has to do with avoiding actions that may ... actually harm people, and with honesty. ... unfairly against them) doesn't hurt Google. ... Those that follow the rules at all times, no matter how silly the ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Total feasible human population over all time?
    ... The limiting factor will be energy, ... not sure how well we can shove the dark matter into black holes. ... Notes about Google Calculator: ...
    (rec.arts.sf.science)
  • Re: Desperate to get found on Google
    ... links don't count whereas those that get them artificially flourish? ... You can do this manually or generate it with software, doesn't matter. ... Google forbids you to indicate that the page has ...
    (alt.internet.search-engines)
  • Re: Google finds PKD offensive
    ... it was somebody else who said "so it become not so much a matter ... of "what will google find" as it is "what has google found and kept in ... That isn't a scenario, dimwit. ... designers and coders are subject to error both in interpreting specs ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Some Web_TV clients run Win_CE on an Intel box.
    ... You post via Google because you're not computer literate. ... No matter where I go, no matter what PC/LAN I use, ... running Win_CE on an Intel box. ... Some clients run Win_CE on an Intel box, ...
    (sci.physics)