RE: SSL Question

From: Raoul Armfield (armfield@amnh.org)
Date: 02/21/02

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:42:32 -0500
To: <meghani@nsecure.net>, "Kurt Seifried" <bugtraq@seifried.org>, "Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg)" <rdawes@deloitte.co.za>, "'Niall O Malley (LMI)'" <Niall.OMalley@eei.ericsson.se>, <webappsec@securityfocus.com>, <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
From: Raoul Armfield <armfield@amnh.org>

I am new to this field but as I understand it the public key does no form
of decryption only encryption the Private key does all the decrypting

At 05:28 AM 2/15/2002, Shripal wrote:
>|Huh. No. You have private keys and public keys. Public keys are distributed
>|and can be used to encrypt data that only the private key can decrypt.
>|Private keys can be used to sign data (actually it encrypts a hash value of
>|the data such as MD5 or SHA1) and this signature can be verified
>|(decrypted)
>|by the public key. This is essentially true of all "public key"
>|cryptography.
>
>If the private key is hashed while signing it by MD5 or SHA1 (both of which
>are irreversible) then how does the public key decrypt it??

Thanks,

Raoul

________

Military action is important to the nation -- it is the ground of death and
life, the path of survival and destruction, so it is imperative to examine
it. --- Sun Tzu " The Art of War"

Relevant Pages

  • RE: PGP scripting...
    ... cryptosystems, ... In these systems divulging your private key compromises the public ... Here is a quick over view of the public key encryption routines (the ...
    (SecProg)
  • Re: RSACryptoServiceProvider decrypt with public key
    ... private key which my programs could decipher using a public key I've ... But since private key encryption and public key decryption isn't ... > If Alice gives Bob her public key, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • RE: PGP scripting...
    ... that you keep the private key secret. ... Here is a quick over view of the public key encryption routines (the ... Since only he, through the use of his private key, can decrypt the ...
    (SecProg)
  • [OT] Re: Basic question about Public Private Key Pairs
    ... > and private keys allow me to decrypt, but vice versa is not possible (or ... a public key and a corresponding private key. ... You can encrypt something with each key; ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • RE: PGP scripting...
    ... In addition to being confused about arbitrary asymmetry in RSA cryptography ... Microsoft .NET, for example, defines a private key as inclusive of its ... .NET Framework includes the public key. ... As for encryption speed, encryption transformations with a public key ...
    (SecProg)