Re: port 12345 windows95/nt

From: Reece Arnott (reece.arnott@dropmemail.com)
Date: 02/05/02

Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 14:55:19 +1300
To: "ASBB11@netscape.net" <ASBB11-X-netscape.net@mail-x-change.com>, security-basics@securityfocus.com
From: Reece Arnott <reece.arnott@dropmemail.com>

At 4/02/02 16:18 +0000, you wrote:
>Sorry for the very basic question.
>Using superscan I found this port open on my computer. How can I close it?
>I use sygate personal firewall but it looks like I do not have options to
>shut down ports, I can only act on protocols.
>Thanks,
>
>Angelo
According to http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers this port is used
by the Italk Chat System. Some trojans also use this port as their default
communications port also.

For this port to be open through the firewall, the application involved
needs to have been access through the firewall (unless its in allow
everything mode).
With the sygate firewall that I've used the only way to block this port is
to block the relevant application.

First look at the list of all applications that have been attempted to go
through the firewall, (Tools/Applications or click the Applications button
in the main window).

Look at the ones that are not blocked (i.e. they are set to 'ask' or
'allow') and block the application (by clicking on the tick or question mark).

This is for the version I've used which is 4.0 Build 670 so YMMV.
-------------------------
Reece Arnott
62B Heriot Row
Dunedin
New Zealand

+64 3 4774007

reece.arnott@dropmemail.com
-------------------------

Relevant Pages

  • Re: keeping ports open
    ... If a port is open, it means that 1) a software or service is running on your ... and 2) you're not using a firewall or your firewall isn't ... Use firewall software and hardware and antivirus software that is ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...
  • Re: CEICW fails at firewall config
    ... ISA Server prevents connection to a remote desktop when you connect through ... Remote Web Workplace on a Windows Small Business Server 2003-based computer ... Acceleration Server as a firewall. ... connection uses TCP port 4125. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... >> server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... > before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... > program or executable using that port. ...
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... > tested on port 445. ... > I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... Secedit.exe is the name of a legitimate Windows file, ... investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with the latest updates ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)