about a syslog server

From: outohere00@yahoo.com
Date: 01/31/02

Date: 31 Jan 2002 20:53:05 -0000
From: <outohere00@yahoo.com>
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com

Hello all. I am researching the creation of a syslog
server on a WinNT or Win2k platform. My goal is to
enable 24/7 logging of 25+ Cisco routers (no
servers). There is a mix of Internet and Intranet
routers involved. I have 3 questions about this. First,
is there a solid 3rd party syslog program that anyone
can recommend for this? Second, is it true that by
choosing to log level 4 (warning) issues that I will also
automatically log levels 0 thru 3? Finally, is there a
any documented baseline rule for determining how
much disk space usage I can expect to accumulate
per day? I have to find out what size drive I would
need. This last question has been a tough one; I
haven't been able to locate any documented formula
for this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: about a syslog server
    ... Check out the Kiwi syslog at http://www.kiwi-enterprises.com ... I run it here on a Win2K system and it works great. ... server on a WinNT or Win2k platform. ... choosing to log level 4 issues that I will also ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: about a syslog server
    ... If it were me, I would go get a cheap Linux machine, plug in some iptables rules, fire up syslog -r, and have every one of those cisco routers log to it. ... server on a WinNT or Win2k platform. ... choosing to log level 4 issues that I will also ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Need to implemet Syslog server
    ... >On my network I need to implement a Syslog server ... Pretty much everything but Windows will ... likely talk to syslog if told to, ... A great many other managed network devices support syslogging, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • [HPADM] SUMMARY: syslog redirection
    ... server is down, entries will be lost. ... Syslog sends over UDP on a "broadcast and forget" concept. ... information that is subject to United States laws and regulations. ... I'm being asked to route syslog messages to a central server. ...
    (HP-UX-Admin)
  • RE: Syslog Server on Debian Etch
    ... Syslog was working fine on the clients, I had it installed to a diff ... Is anyone else monitoring Juniper Netscreen firewalls? ... Syslog Server on Debian Etch ...
    (Debian-User)