RE: Feedback on BlackICE...

From: backoffmymachine@hushmail.com
Date: 01/30/02

From: backoffmymachine@hushmail.com
To: garren@starband.net
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:47:48 -0800

Actually, I've used BlackIce (NetworkIce) since it came out and have never had a problem on my home connection (broadband). HOWEVER, I keep it updated (automatically notifies me when there is an update) and I patch my machines.

BrownFox is correct in that it is not a product for idiots...thankfully.

As for Steve Gibson, he compares Zone Alarm (a IDS/Firewall hybrid) to BlackIce (more of a standard IDS since it *doesn't* restrict outbound packets). The two products are apples and oranges.

Don't get me wrong, ZoneAlarm has it's place. For instance I installed ZAPro on my mother's machine because she isn't a security expert...she's a writer and needs something to think for her when it comes to technical security (re: ZA's alerts on outbound packets). Me, I use BlackIce because I keep an eye on my machines via other methods.

regards,

Bomm