RE: Remote PC Management via LAN/WAN

From: shawn merdinger (dinger@gslis.utexas.edu)
Date: 01/19/02

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:48:17 -0600 (CST)
From: shawn merdinger <dinger@gslis.utexas.edu>
To: <Security-basics@securityfocus.com>, <LeviP@fortune800.com>

Assuming you mean Windows boxen...

VNC is cheap and easy. Better to tunnel it through SSH. Putting an SSH
server on the remote boxes (with proper ACLs) will allow you both command
line and GUI access through SSH. There's a doc on the UK VNC site that
describes tunneling it through SSH. Also, you can add compression to the
tunneled traffic, thereby giving you a *bit* better performance on the
GUI.

One takes risks using 31337 t40j4n w4r3z. In a production environment?
Well, do what you will; but I wouldn't trust that software. Heck, even
the legitimate remote access software have security problems.

Unless you have access to the source, and the talent to properly review it for
malicious code, you're taking your chances.

-scm

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remote Access file transfer
    ... In addition to Bob's comments you might look at using a Secure Shell (SSH) tunnel if you just want access to files on the PC and not taking control like you would with Remote Desktop. ... My question is - is there a way to be able to drag and drop files within the ...
  • Re: reverse shell session
    ... I want to open a session on a client that connects to my server and makes ... a tunnel. ... You may ask why i want to do that, well the remote machine is behind a ... You could run an ssh server on the machine that's behind the FW on some ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Tunneled IP Addresses?
    ... First I connect via ssh. ... >specifying that all requests to a particular remote host be sent to ... >that address and forwards them out the tunnel. ... >pages (on the same server), but specify its IP Address rather than ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Verify a correctly configured tunnel
    ... (using SSH Secure Shell and tightVNC viewer). ... the remote machine via an SSH terminal. ... using the tunnel I think I set up? ... To make sure it is a port used by ssh ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • [NEWS] SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service (Mocana)
    ... SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service ... Dell Remote Access Card 4 allows customers to effectively manage ... After the use of such a port scanner, ...
    (Securiteam)