RE: Remote PC Management via LAN/WAN

From: shawn merdinger (dinger@gslis.utexas.edu)
Date: 01/19/02

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:48:17 -0600 (CST)
From: shawn merdinger <dinger@gslis.utexas.edu>
To: <Security-basics@securityfocus.com>, <LeviP@fortune800.com>

Assuming you mean Windows boxen...

VNC is cheap and easy. Better to tunnel it through SSH. Putting an SSH
server on the remote boxes (with proper ACLs) will allow you both command
line and GUI access through SSH. There's a doc on the UK VNC site that
describes tunneling it through SSH. Also, you can add compression to the
tunneled traffic, thereby giving you a *bit* better performance on the
GUI.

One takes risks using 31337 t40j4n w4r3z. In a production environment?
Well, do what you will; but I wouldn't trust that software. Heck, even
the legitimate remote access software have security problems.

Unless you have access to the source, and the talent to properly review it for
malicious code, you're taking your chances.

-scm