Re: Detecting WAP's

From: cookie@www.rknrobin.com
Date: 01/03/02

Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:18:19 -0800 (PST)
From: <cookie@www.rknrobin.com>
To: sim <list@mcclincy.com>

try the simple solution, buy a 802.11b nic and setup airsnort ... if you
get a symbol extender /antenna you can get range to cover a pretty large
campus. better yet, you can get access to the WAP and connect to your
network through it so you can block the MAC on the thing (although some
WAP's allow mac spoofing by default, you might want to try just sending
out a memo so people know of the dangers of WAP's...

 On Wed, 2 Jan 2002,
sim wrote:

> Hello,
> I spent the better part of my morning today tracking down a WAP within
> my building. We basically stumbled onto the signal by blind luck
> (testing a WAP enabled laptop) and I proceeded to walk around on a few
> floors searching cubicles until I found it sitting inside someone's
> cabinet.
>
> My current network policy is no wireless devices.
>
> My question is how does one proactively monitor for a WAP in a standard
> routed/switched environment. Is there any intelligent way to accomplish
> this? I would be interested in ideas/solutions for LAN's and WAN's. Is
> there something I can look for within each packet or perhaps specific
> types of traffic (broadcast?) create by the WAP?
>
> Unfortunately I am not up on 802.11 (yet) and this recent incident has
> me concerned given anyone within range had free access to my network.
>
> Any comments, links, documents, or criticisms are welcome. Please
> respond to the group.
> CM

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wireless access point
    ... Maybe a quick test berfore changing network IP would be to set WAP as DHCP ... It would help to know if when you went to your test SBS server did ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: New thread, broadcom 802-11 related
    ... On Tuesday 18 April 2006 18:53, Neil Cherry wrote: ... The MAC address is not a real WAP (at least I don't think they ... /sbin/iwconfig ${WLAN} channel $ ...
    (Fedora)
  • [fw-wiz] Re: Wireless
    ... somewhat limited when it comes to a national or international network. ... started toying with the 'wired' side looking at the WAP MAC addresses. ... this area on the Cisco network. ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: fixed ip or automatic?
    ... I have my home LAN setup like yours, ie. wireless/guest devices get a DHCP assigned IP address ... wireless which connect to a WAP. ... My network works fine at the moment with the 2 ... > will enable internet connection sharing. ...
  • Re: Axim internet access on SBS2003
    ... I've got a Linksys WAP providing wireless network / ... internet (but not network) access to a Dell Axim x51. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)