RE: Encrypted POP3 Access?

From: Robert Mooney (rjmooney@aboveground.cx)
Date: 12/04/01

From: "Robert Mooney" <rjmooney@aboveground.cx>
To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 01:26:21 -0500

You can patch qmail to support SMTP/TLS. Outlook 2000 supports it, and I'm
sure there are patches to PINE that support it as well.

As a side note, and probably more relevant to the original post: Outlook
doesn't appear to support client side certificates. This is unfortunate,
given the advent of dsniff, which makes hijacking SSL connections cake.
Maybe this has changed in Outlook XP.

One solution is to tunnel POP and SMTP through SSH, and only allow asym-
metric key logins to the shell. It requires the user to be logged in to
retrieve their mail, so it is probably not practical in most environments.

- Rob