Re: Unix Security Standards, books, tools...

From: Craig Van Tassle (craig@ambrosa.dns04.com)
Date: 12/01/01

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:28:45 -0600
From: Craig Van Tassle <craig@ambrosa.dns04.com>
To: SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 06:08:37PM -0800, tony toni wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I recently was assigned the project of developing security standards for our
> Unix environment. We have about 400 unix box's (HP-UX, Sun Solaris, AIX,
> etc)and the admins do their *own thing* with these boxes.
Well that is what some sys-admins do.. what kind of security do they have setup?Do all the unix boxes have individual firewalls. Do you use Kerbos of S/key authentactions? (sorry about my spelling). What about the routers between all the Unix boxes are they locked down or a nice wide open door?

there are many web-pages with this informations on locking down unix. search google for some ideas. check out this web site.. i find it pretty food http://www.deter.com/unix/

Also check out www.secureroot.com and www.securityfocus.com they have a lot of informaion on computer security informaing and good links to other sources.

> (2) What about good books/sites on Unix Security?
Maximum Security: a hacker's guide to protecing your internet site and network
Practical UNIX & internet secuity.
Essential System Administration.
Firewall and Internet Security: Repelling the Whily Hacker
Building Internet firewalls
Hacking exposed.
They are all good books availiable at almost any local book store.
I know Borders has a section about computer security. Look there they have a lot of good informaion

> (3) What about user friendly software tool(s) that I can periodically use
> to audit the Unix boxes for compliance to the new security standards I
> developed?
If you want user friendly tools. I dont know of many for unix.. i would recomend using something like snort for IDS, and setup scripts to watch for wierd activity.
And rembemer the basic rule of secuity. What is not needed is not installed

> Thanks
>
> Tony
> IT Security Manager
> Major Telecommunications Company

  • Re: sudo without password
    ... UNIX will catch up sometime. ... And that is the most common security exploit even under Windows. ... the Internet for small periods of time. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: compile+link Fujitsu Linux
    ... the Unix and Windows worlds. ... I wasn't trying to change your way of doing things, I was answering Charles' question. ... Security that depends on user ignorance is so 1980s. ... libraries was 'more secure'. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: compile+link Fujitsu Linux
    ... I wasn't trying to change your way of doing things, I was answering Charles' question. ... Charles was unfamiliar with Fujitsu on Unix. ... libraries was 'more secure'. ... YOU introduced application security, not I. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: RWW Security was compromised.
    ... Windows server security as my previous experience is Unix. ... > One of our clients RWW was compromised over the weekend. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: What protects Unices from Virus like attacks ??
    ... >> what protects all Unix machines from such similar problems. ... > If a vulnerability is found for Unixen, ... I met security engineers that were aghast at some of the ... Many MS customers don't know what to do ...
    (comp.unix.questions)