Re: Format HardDisk Program !!!!!!!!

From: Michael Zimmermann (zim@vegaa.de)
Date: 11/15/01

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:33:19 +0100
From: Michael Zimmermann <zim@vegaa.de>
Subject: Re: Format HardDisk Program !!!!!!!!

_]{ILLER_ wrote:

> as a superuser in unix work...
> forget about this binaries and try
> cat /dev/zero > /dev/hda
> where hda is the drive you want to wipe out...

Hhhm. If you have extremely sensitive data, that
might not be good enough. In that case you need
to overwrite the disk media with different patterns
like 0xFF then 0x52 then 0x25 then 0x00 _several_
times. Otherwise the original contents might be
partially recoverable with special hardware (like
a digital scope attached to the read amplifier
just before its output is digitized - perhaps together
with slightly offset heads).

Just overwriting the data once is only good enough
for _normal_ disk drives.

But probaly for very sensitive data you would never
let anybody get the drive anyway.

Greetings
Michael

Relevant Pages

  • Re: what happens to deleted files
    ... very sensitive data might melt or destroy drives instead of securely ... my boss took a demagnetizer and started erasing ... Thank you for the real life story, that is exactly the kind of user errors that those who dispose of sensitive data want to avoid at all cost. ...
  • Re: Hard Drive scrub
    ... Since new drives ... > For sensitive data maybe, but otherwise its a pity to trash something ... and <4gb disks that work are getting a rarity and are needed ... value your time under $1/hour :-) Destroy the drive and give $50 to ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Format Question !
    ... >> I have 2 drives one with WinXP installed the second with Mandrake ... >fdisk changing the partition table + format) would do. ... The sensitive data I refer to is mainly client addresses and invoicing ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Hard Drive scrub
    ... Since new drives ... >cost less than $1/gig these days, anything else is madness. ... For sensitive data maybe, but otherwise its a pity to trash something ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • RE: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing
    ... Directly control both the movement and the placement of the head ... Using a factor of the drives magnetic density that relates to a +1 ... and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls. ... nullify that overwrite, leaving the last write before that one plainly ...
    (Security-Basics)