Re: power password prank

From: Jay Woody (jay_woody@tnb.com)
Date: 11/05/01

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 15:38:09 -0600
From: "Jay Woody" <jay_woody@tnb.com>
To: <security-basics@security-focus.com>
Subject: Re: power password prank

If this is a power-on password, usually there is a jumper that resets this on the motherboard. Last ditch, I have just removed the CMOS battery fr 30 minutes to 1 hour. This deletes all info (hard drive size, etc.) but the password goes along with it.

There may also be a vendor provided way of doing this. You might call Compaq and see.

JayW

>>> "sari sari" <sarisocks@visto.com> 11/01/01 06:12PM >>>
hey all,

I have a little problem I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a situation where I created a password to start up the computer, even before windows starts, on my compaq presario and I can't remember it because I didn't take the time to write it down, thinking I would remember it. I was wondering if any computer smart person would know a way around this issue? [no need for the, dumb not to remember password lectures, got em already] I just want to be able to start my computer again.

thanks in advance

SARi
Visit http://www.visto.com.
Find out how companies are linking mobile users to the
enterprise with Visto.

Relevant Pages

  • I really need some help with FSB settings on motherboard
    ... Motherboard is a "MEW-VM rev 1.02". ... and the system came with a Celeron 400 MHz ... Note the FSB0 and FSB1. ... Then, I notice that there are pins, and a jumper on the bottom 3. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Motherboard FSB settings - I really need help here!
    ... Motherboard is a "MEW-VM rev 1.02". ... and the system came with a Celeron 400 MHz ... Note the FSB0 and FSB1. ... Then, I notice that there are pins, and a jumper on the bottom 3. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: UEFI Secure Boot Specs - And some sanity
    ... pretty clear that installing your own complete PKI tree will all ... boil down to what is effectively a jumper on the motherboard? ... - Load a new PK without asking if in default SetupMode ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: K7Upgrade-600 and AthlonXp 2000+
    ... I have a problem with my motherboard and procesor. ... When I switch on motherboard fsb from 200MHz to 266MHz system won't ... Bios was reseted by removing battery and short jumper when I ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Trying to revive a server... AIC-7896 freezes pre-POST completion
    ... That jumper should reset the BIOS to factory defaults to allow it to get through the post and into setup. ... I know this isn't a FreeBSD question really, but I just started up a motherboard with onboard SCSI, and for some odd reason it freezes pre-POST before it attempts to boot and there isn't any way where I can get into the BIOS to change the settings it seems. ... MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support. ...
    (freebsd-questions)