W2K where to start??

From: Michael Bartosh (mbartosh@mac.com)
Date: 10/21/01

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:37:02 -0600
To: security-basics@securityfocus.com
From: Michael Bartosh <mbartosh@mac.com>
Subject: W2K where to start??

Hi-

I'm a unix / Mac guy. I agreed to set up a test installation of W2K
Advanced Server because the M$ rep has always been nice. It's going
to be in a DMZ so I'm not as scared as I would be, but my impression
is that windows in general is full of holes out of box (at least from
the number of command.exe's in my apache logs it would SEEM so), and
I don't know where to start when it comes to windows security-

Where is a site I can go to that lists all the updates / patches I
need to get started. Any general advice?

-mab

  • Re: Windows 2000:r evert from Advanced to Standard Edition
    ... If you do refer to Windows 2000 Advanced server to Windows 2000 server, ... answer is "clean installation" only. ... No other methods to "change" an Advanced Server to a Server. ... >> assume you have a typo here) Standard Edition? ...
  • Newbie questions about Advanced Server
    ... What I really want to do is use Microsoft Visual C++ on a Windows 2000 ... FTP'ed the files between PC and Alpha, but that is such a pain that I ... I have installed Advanced Server V7.3A on an Alpha running OpenVMS ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Single Signon
    ... For OVMS, you can use the Advanced Server for OpenVMS product to provide ... The user specifies their Windows domain credentials when accessing the OVMS ... If you use Advanced Server for external authentication (aka single signon) ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Error logon to Windows domain with firewall
    ... I recently set up a Windows 2000 advanced server on a separated subnet from ... 2000 advanced server is on DMZ and Windows 2003 domain controller is on ... I see this error message and I will not be allowed to logon: ...
  • Re: Windows 2000:r evert from Advanced to Standard Edition
    ... I'm asking about downgrading from Windows ... 2000 Advanced Server to Windows 2000 Standard. ... Server and replace it with Standard edition. ...