Re: Zonealarm Question

From: apf27 (apf27@tm.net.my)
Date: 10/19/01

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:48:50 +0800
From: apf27 <apf27@tm.net.my>
Subject: Re: Zonealarm Question
To: "P. O'Malley" <imadoctorjim@hotmail.com>, security-basics@securityfocus.com

hello,
can u try NOT giving MSWord access to Internet? After all, it doesn't
really need it, does it?
I think the hyperlink to the .doc document will still open correctly.

At 01:15 AM 2001-10-18, P. O'Malley wrote:
>Ok I hope that this doesn't turn into a ZoneAlarm sucks use BlackIce or a
>You shouldnt use Outlook debate... This is just a question that I was
>wondering if anyone had thought about or run into.
>
>Here is the scenario:
>I have ZoneAlarm Pro Loaded
>I am using Outlook 2000 as my mail client
>I have MS Word 2000 set as my default email editor
>I receive an email with a hyperlink
>I click on the hyperlink, ZoneAlarm Pro prompts me to let MS Word access
>the Internet
>I click yes and remember this answer
>Latter I receive a document as an attachment that is infected with a macro
>virus mass-mailer (for sake of this question lets assume that the virus is
>new and my anti-virus definitions will not catch it)
>Since I have already told ZoneAlarm to always allow MS Word to access the
>Internet will it allow the virus to access the Internet and send out
>multiple copies of it self?
>Thanks In Advance

  • CORRECT! Heres ZA Tech Supports Email Re: Internet Worms and ZoneAlarm
    ... ZoneAlarm protects the computer it is installed on by only allowing Internet ... There is a third zone -- a Restricted Zone (which restricts access to your ... Server rights to both Local AND Internet Zones. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IE will not display websites
    ... Zonealarm was blocking IE internet ... This was fixed when I unistalled Zonealarm and then re-installed it. ... Zone Alarm Pro can block access to Internet ... settings,yes the proxy settings are blank and not ticked. ...
  • Re: Zonealarm Question
    ... Subject: Zonealarm Question ... > can u try NOT giving MSWord access to Internet? ... > I think the hyperlink to the .doc document will still open correctly. ... >> the virus is new and my anti-virus definitions will not catch it) ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Firewall confusion
    ... do a telnet on port 7265 on a server. ... You're taking the ZoneAlarm example too literally. ... applications can access the internet. ... Configuring the OpenSUSE firewall. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Zonealarm Question
    ... Subject: Zonealarm Question ... as I'm aware it won't let MSWord be "open" to the internet. ... > I click on the hyperlink, ZoneAlarm Pro prompts me to let MS Word access ... > macro virus mass-mailer (for sake of this question lets assume that the ...
    (Security-Basics)