Re: qmail

From: Chris Wilkes (cwilkes@ladro.com)
Date: 09/27/01

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:47:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Wilkes <cwilkes@ladro.com>
To: SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: qmail

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Baba Bogdan wrote:

> Hi people
> First excuse my english.
> I just installed qmail 1.03 with daemontools and ucspi-tcpd and all the
> stuff that you need for an medium tipe ISP .
>
> Haw do i know If after all the setups my server alows relay/spam.
> I know the mail.abuse.net relay check doesn`t work with qmail, there is
> oather way of checking if the host alows relay/spam

By default Qmail won't allow relaying. The file /etc/tcp.smtp controls
this. You'll be able to send email to the machine but it won't forward on
email.

This means you'll have to put in something like
        10.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
to let your users send mail through it. At least that's how I've done it
in the past.

Also you could run this program from a remote machine to see if your mail
server allows relaying. If the mail goes through your machine is open.
It should die with some note like "I'm sorry you're not in my rcpthosts"

If you can't get this program to work (you'll have to install the perl
module Net::SMTP) personally email me your mail server name and I'll run
it. Run it like "./mailtest.pl my.mail.server.com" and also change the
$from and $to variables.

Chris

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use Net::SMTP;
use strict;

my ($server, $smtp, $to, $from);

$server = shift || die "Pass me a server to test!\n";
$smtp = Net::SMTP->new($server, Debug=> 1, Port => 25);

$from = "me\@example.com";
$to = $from;

$smtp->mail($from);
$smtp->to($to);

$smtp->data();
$smtp->datasend("To: $to");
$smtp->datasend("\n");
$smtp->datasend("From: $from");
$smtp->datasend("\n");
$smtp->datasend("Subject: Test message\n");
$smtp->datasend("\n");
$smtp->datasend("A simple test message\n");
$smtp->dataend();

$smtp->quit;

Relevant Pages

  • QMail Question
    ... I've removed sendmail and installed qmail. ... Set up qmail-smtpd in /etc/inetd.conf: ... If i start qmail in start script from inet.d directory for example or by service qmail start it works fine. ... Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts! ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: qmail
    ... > I just installed qmail 1.03 with daemontools and ucspi-tcpd and all the ... open relay. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • FW: qmail
    ... used qmail for a few years and even help an ISP with an install.. ... I just installed qmail 1.03 with daemontools and ucspi-tcpd and all the ... stuff that you need for an medium tipe ISP. ... oather way of checking if the host alows relay/spam ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • QMAIL for AIX
    ... For the inherent bugs and complexity with sendmail, I am considering QMAIL ... for my AIX servers. ... Has anyone installed QMAIL on AIX, I tried compiling ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: mail server
    ... First, I will start off by saying, I run qmail on many ... >>> configure a mail server that must meet enterprise requirements. ... >>of a sendmail installation, although the configuration files are different. ... >>licensing is GPL. ...
    (Fedora)