ThinkPad A20 bios question

From: leon (leon@inyc.com)
Date: 09/11/01

From: "leon" <leon@inyc.com>
To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Subject: ThinkPad A20 bios question
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:36:12 -0400

I have run into a client who has set a supervisor (or is a supervisor I
was a little confused by the description) password on the bios of a
ThinkPad A20. We have contacted IBM and they say the only way to fix
this issue is to replace the systemboard of the computer. Is this
true???? That seems super-drastic. Anyone have any better ideas or
programs that are made to specifically brute force bios (not sure if
that is possible). The bios version is 1.09 (IWET55WW) I am not sure of
the maker (award, phoenix, etc) because this is all 4th hand
information.

Anyway anyone with suggestions (not flames, I am not person who set the
bios password and did not write it down) please feel free to respond
publicly or privately.

Regards,

Leon

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ThinkPad A20 bios question
    ... Subject: ThinkPad A20 bios question ... as you suspect the thinkpad writes to the bios. ... > bios password and did not write it down) please feel free to respond ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Boot Passwords
    ... I have a BIOS utility on my PC which allows me to set passwords, but for some reason the PC does not require that a user enters any of these passwords every time the PC is switched on, but rather only when a user enters the BIOS utility. ... Most modern bios allow you to set 4 or more devices in the boot order. ... If the BIOS will not allow you to make this change then the BIOS then the BIOS thinks you are a user and not the supervisor. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Boot Passwords
    ... >>>What BIOS make and version are you running. ... >>>Most modern Bios allow you to set a boot order of devices. ... > BIOS thinks you are a user and not the supervisor. ... HP don't recommend upgrading to that version of ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: ACCESS TO DRIVE A
    ... I would open up your computer case and check the cable connection to the A ... Then I would also go in to the BIOS when you boot up by pressing F2 ... I am the supervisor - Can anyone tell me what's happened ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • How do I get in to user mode?
    ... My BIOS runs as a supervisor and is executable only in supervisor mode. ... The trouble I'm having is that I'm trying to set the system in user mode by setting CPSR appropriately, and the very next instruction causes a fault because the system is still executing in the BIOS code, which is set to execute/read by supervisor privelege only. ...
    (comp.sys.arm)