RE: Is it "legal" to nmap offending hosts?

From: Robert Woods (robert.woods@percepta-crm.com)
Date: 09/10/01

From: "Robert Woods" <robert.woods@percepta-crm.com>
To: "'Xno Xutz'" <xnoxutz@yahoo.com>, <SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Is it "legal" to nmap offending hosts?
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:45:31 -0400

Xno,
  I think it's better to run an nslookup on a host, then contact the
administrator and send a few pages of log files (careful not to send too
much info in logs - internal IPs etc.). Most of the traffic I get is either
related to a virus (i.e. Code Red infected IIS servers or servers at that
site compromised by another user). More than often the admins are unaware
of the traffic hitting your firewall, and most are polite and helpful when
investigating unwarranted network traffic. I don't advise to use aggressive
probes to investigate a host you suspect as probing yours, it's better to
work with them to resolve the issue.

Robert