Re: XP

From: brian_carpio@csgsystems.com
Date: 09/04/01

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:33:13 -0600 (MDT)
From: brian_carpio@csgsystems.com
To: John Oliver <john.oliver@hosting.com>
Subject: Re: XP

So if you don't have web access you can't install and run Microsoft XP??
Also has anyone snooped this transfer and found what port etc.. the data
is going out on? And what IP the data is being sent to.

--------------
Brian Carpio
CSG Systems Inc.
Open Systems Unix System Admin

x3317
--------------

--- Security is a Process NOT a Product ----

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, John Oliver wrote:

> Jerry Roy wrote:
> >
> > FYI Everyone,
> >
> > Micrososft XP transfers system information with a unique Installation
> > ID (Generated by your existing hardware) that is sent to Microsoft over
> > the web and Microsoft returns an activation code. Without the activation
> > code the software stops working and the same ID cannot be used across
> > multiple PC's because of the unique hardware ID that was generated. If
> > you change any 3 major pieces of Hardware, you have to get a new
> > activation code.
>
> This isn't news. What I'm wondering, though, is how long it'll be
> before someone circumvents their "Installation ID" scheme, and send
> sthem back to Square One... :-)
>
> --
> John Oliver
> System Administrator
> Hosting.com, an Allegiance Telecom company
> Formerly CONNECTnet
> mailto:john.oliver@hosting.com
> t 858.638.2020
> http://www.hosting.com/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows and Sale of Goods
    ... whether it looked like Microsoft shrink wrapping. ... I have emailed the vendor via Amazon, rather indignantly, and his reply ... Here is a new activation code. ... after a few months the installation will stop working if the vendor has ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Windows and Sale of Goods
    ... whether it looked like Microsoft shrink wrapping. ... Here is a new activation code. ... after a few months the installation will stop working if the vendor has ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Windows and Sale of Goods
    ... Vista installation. ... wrapping and whether it looked like Microsoft shrink wrapping. ... I have emailed the vendor via Amazon, rather indignantly, and his ... Please send me the activation code you were using". ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Windows and Sale of Goods
    ... I wanted to upgrade a Vista installation. ... The Windows 7 box appeared to be new and unused, and shrink-wrapped but I didn't pay much attention to the shrink wrapping and whether it looked like Microsoft shrink wrapping. ... and I get a message that the product has been used before and Microsoft have blacklisted that activation code and I will need to refer to my vendor. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: SBS 2003, lost companyweb
    ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ... The original Windows SBS installation was preinstalled by an OEM. ... Important You must change this registry entry on all domain controllers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)