RE: Virus to Virus Idea

From: Vachon, Scott (Scott.Vachon@Paymentech.com)
Date: 08/31/01

From: "Vachon, Scott" <Scott.Vachon@Paymentech.com>
To: SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com
Subject: RE: Virus to Virus Idea
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:34:14 -0500

>Old idea (aka 'the road to hell') periodically resurrected and
>occasionally equated to the 'mandatory update'; said idea almost
>uniformly phhhbbbt'd each time no matter the good intentions or guise
>under which it travels.
 <snip>
>The whole idea of someone else deciding what kind of software I should
>use is, um, well, an abomination. Give me rules to live by so we can
>nominally get along, sure enough -- but your right to swing your fist
>ends where my nose begins...or at my firewall. :)

 I agree. Of all those who recommend an anti-virus virus, or anti-worm worm,
I don't recall any who recommend a warning display rather than an
unrequested fix. In other words, a worm or virus that checks for a
vulnerability or exploit, and then "annoys" the "attacked" systems with
messages about a found exploit and how to patch it WITHOUT changing the
system. For all those goodly souls who hack under the pretense that it does
good for the community as a whole ( I pass no judgment either way...), I
wonder why none have shifted the paradigm as such, vice causing damage to
the end systems ? Thoughts ?

~S~

Disclaimer: My own two cents...

Relevant Pages

  • Dustin Cook flunks Rolling Stone interview...as he has everything else
    ... Dusbin Cook aka Raid aka Duckfart doesn't come off too good here. ... Even his virus writing buddies aren't too thrilled with this vicious ... In other posts he also revels in what he thinks toadie is doing. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Different antivirus software give different results with same suspect files
    ... as "yes this is a virus". ... I'm using Avast 4.7, Norton Corporate Antivirus, Solo Antivirus, AVG. ... vendor has their own detection and analysis lab, ... would you lose faith in John aka Red aka Jalopy aka Ian to ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Is there a VIRUS in jdbgmgr.exe ??
    ... It is not a virus, although the doggone thing seems to ... aka 'Teddy Bear Virus' in Yahoo seach and got 18000 hits. ... >>You do have antivirus software dont you! ...
  • Re: Virus to Virus Idea
    ... Subject: Virus to Virus Idea ... Old idea (aka 'the road to hell') periodically resurrected and ... occasionally equated to the 'mandatory update'; ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: WARING GREEN AV VIRUS
    ... if anyone knows I sure as hell would like to hear from You. ... Yes I had virus protection installed when I bought it+ fire wall all ... I recommend  Webroot Spysweeper with Antivirus. ... antivirus software is good. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)