RE: Linux or Windows as Server-OS?

From: CJ Oakwood (cj_oakwood@yahoo.com)
Date: 08/30/01

From: "CJ Oakwood" <cj_oakwood@yahoo.com>
To: "'Captain Dope'" <captain_dope@yahoo.de>, <SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Linux or Windows as Server-OS?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:05:39 -0700

Here is my $0.02...
Go out and get a copy of Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server.
(Server should do just fine...)
Once that is accomplished, install a firewall such as ZoneAlarm, or
get a copy of BlackICE. (For some security)
Get Virus Scanners on _ALL_ your computers. (Again for Safety and
security)

With Windows 2000 can setup your own small Office. Use the Server as
a Gateway to everything.
Get 2 NIC's and install and configure NAT to do your Web surfing.
With the Clients all pointing to the Server, you have less of a
chance for intruders accessing any information on the clients.
Attach the Printer and share it out. (Your ready to print)

It will take about a day to get configured and ready for production.
But it is well worth it.

Good luck, and again this is my $0.02.

CJ