Re: Zone Alarm Firewall

From: The Crocodile (
Date: 08/28/01

From: "The Crocodile" <>
To: <>, "Renouf, Phillip" <>
Subject: Re: Zone Alarm Firewall
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:51:10 -0700

Firewalling and virus detection are two different balls of wax. Virus
detection/eradication is detecting and getting rid of virii and worms while
firewalling is to protect your machine from an attacker attempting to gain
elevated privileges (IE remotely take control) of your machine. Although
they do overlap when some of the newer worms are involved, they are two
typically different beasts and should BOTH be used simultaneously.

Just running a virus scanning with the latest signatures will not detect or
stop an intruder into your machine.