AW: Re(2): FTP security on *nix

From: Stefan Osterlitz (osterlitz@blox.de)
Date: 08/10/01

From: "Stefan Osterlitz" <osterlitz@blox.de>
To: <security-basics@securityfocus.com>
Subject: AW: Re(2): FTP security on *nix
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:59:21 +0200

> I have been wondering the same thing... In addition, I have heard of a
> secure FTP protocol(sftp). Is there such a thing?

There are a few administratitive tools both for un'x and windows:

these are
ssh for remote logins
scp (secure copy)
sftp (secure ftp)
ftp+ssl (ssl secured ftp)
vnc over ssh (can be used both for x-windows and for ms-windows)

most of them can be found at www.freessh.org

Stefan Osterlitz

Relevant Pages

  • Re: secure ftp on the mainframe
    ... Of McKown, John ... secure ftp on the mainframe ... SSH is very popular in tinkertoyland, but is currently a huge PITA to ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: [TCPIP V5.4] SSH observations
    ... > I tried the SSH for OpenVMS demo more than a year or so ago. ... > tests of Secure Copy and Secure FTP between a VMS and AIX box were failures. ... > I could only seem to use those functions correctly between VMS boxes. ... I've been using Process' SSH on Multinet for about a year now. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Secure FTP
    ... A number of FTP Server packages support SSL. ... you can do secure FTP through SSL using Secure Shell (SSH). ...
  • Re: [SLE] Question: VNC
    ... I do believe that the network admin does have https ... > must use secure ftp to get out. ... I only allow SSH into my linux boxes anyway. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: SSH versions
    ... > Does anyone know of compatibility issues when different implementations ... > of SSH (and subsequently Secure FTP) from companies like VanDyke, ...
    (comp.security.ssh)