Re: double NAT

From: The Psychotic Viper (psyv@root.org.za)
Date: 07/23/01

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 02:42:53 +0200 (SAST)
From: The Psychotic Viper <psyv@root.org.za>
Subject: Re: double NAT
To: Kirk Brady <kbrady22@iprimus.com.au>

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Kirk Brady wrote:

> this may be a stupid q to some but i was just wondering that if you have a router connected to the net that performs NAT, and then a firewall connected to the router that
> performs NAT as well, do all user requests that are sent then get double NAT'd or does this setup not work? once again im sorry if this seems stupid to some, but its been
> bugging me for a while and i havent found anything that tells me.

nope...the operating system allows for one gateway to be setup (least as
far as I have seen on the w/station and server OS's I have worked on) so
the request is dealt with by the gateway its set to use.

And as I recall the term "double NAT'ing" is often used to indicate two
seperate feeds to a NAT'ing gateway that operates as one via BGP. Again
its from personal experience and I could be taught otherwise. Willing to
learn, especially if my perception is wrong.:)

> thanks,
>
> kirk brady

PsyV
(And no double NAT'ing isnt a for real technical term I think)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Do you have a FreeBSD NAT gateway?
    ... my xDSL provider provides a router, not a modem, which means that it does NAT already at the router. ... I have configured the xDSL router to forward all ports to my firewall / NAT gateway. ... setting up a caching dns on you gateway, or testing for dns problems on your Mac mini? ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: [9fans] Do we have a catalog of 9P servers?
    ... plan9 lets you combine simple commands to provide all sorts ... the gateway even if it only rarely communicates with the outside world, ... NAT and RSVP. ... There are many other Linux NAT solutions that do NAT ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Do you have a FreeBSD NAT gateway?
    ... Do you use the NAT feature of pf or do you use the NAT at ... I've had a NAT gateway for, oh, 6 years or so. ... Now I run it with two interfaces and the switch is the back-end network. ... # the fastforwarding speed optimizations still breaks my ipnat setup. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: ntpd on a NAT gateway seems to do nothing
    ... of 123 whilst ntpdate will use a dynamic source port. ... will be competing for the same ip quadtuple at the NAT box. ... Usually the clients behind the NAT gateway use the ntpd ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: Routing with red hat 9.0
    ... >>I believe that all you need to do is set each internal node's gateway to ... >>Are you going to NAT each internal node to different ISP ips? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)