Re: double NAT

From: Sven Martinek (martinek@ppprs1.phy.tu-dresden.de)
Date: 07/23/01

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:33:35 +0200
From: Sven Martinek <martinek@ppprs1.phy.tu-dresden.de>
To: Kirk Brady <kbrady22@iprimus.com.au>
Subject: Re: double NAT

Quoting Kirk Brady (kbrady22@iprimus.com.au):

> this may be a stupid q to some but i was just wondering that if you have
> a router connected to the net that performs NAT, and then a firewall
> connected to the router that performs NAT as well, do all user requests
> that are sent then get double NAT'd or does this setup not work?

I have a similar configuration running @ home.

Internet (DSL) - NAT-Router (Dial-on-demand) - Demil. Zone - File-Server(NAT) - Home-Net

The DMZ (10.1.2.0/24) if for the Laptops that Friends bring with them.

The File-Server offers FTP/SMB for the internal net (192.168.1.0/24) and
does NAT.

So my "Firewall" consists of 2 packet-filters with NAT and a DMZ.

> once again im sorry if this seems stupid to some, but its been
> bugging me for a while and i havent found anything that tells me.
I had no big problems setting this up on LinuX.

HTH
    Sven