Re: double NAT

From: Sven Martinek (martinek@ppprs1.phy.tu-dresden.de)
Date: 07/23/01

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:33:35 +0200
From: Sven Martinek <martinek@ppprs1.phy.tu-dresden.de>
To: Kirk Brady <kbrady22@iprimus.com.au>
Subject: Re: double NAT

Quoting Kirk Brady (kbrady22@iprimus.com.au):

> this may be a stupid q to some but i was just wondering that if you have
> a router connected to the net that performs NAT, and then a firewall
> connected to the router that performs NAT as well, do all user requests
> that are sent then get double NAT'd or does this setup not work?

I have a similar configuration running @ home.

Internet (DSL) - NAT-Router (Dial-on-demand) - Demil. Zone - File-Server(NAT) - Home-Net

The DMZ (10.1.2.0/24) if for the Laptops that Friends bring with them.

The File-Server offers FTP/SMB for the internal net (192.168.1.0/24) and
does NAT.

So my "Firewall" consists of 2 packet-filters with NAT and a DMZ.

> once again im sorry if this seems stupid to some, but its been
> bugging me for a while and i havent found anything that tells me.
I had no big problems setting this up on LinuX.

HTH
    Sven

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Advice on a firewall distro
    ... but as a NAT router with only one machine (the new linux ... ZyWALL unless they were intended for one of the servers (in the DMZ of the ... linux firewall). ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: 3-legged firewalls, routing between legs, the "DMZ"
    ... > implement a three-legged firewall using OpenBSD, NAT, and PF for our ... > I'm putting the "DMZ" in quotes because as I understand it, ... that as well as NAT Router behind it or on DMZ as well. ... if you were to setup the NAT Router on the DMZ don't allow ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • VPN-Router hinter NAT
    ... Von der Planung her soll eine Firewall an die Front, ... dahinter liegende DMZ routet. ... Der VPN-Router soll somit in die DMZ wandern und über das Internet ... 500, ESP, IKE NAT-T UDP 4500) von der Firewall durchs NAT an den VPN- ...
    (de.comp.security.firewall)
  • Re: Firewall that will handle 2 ISPs and a DMZ
    ... > Could anyone suggest a firewall or has experience of a firewall that ... Provide full DMZ functionality, by this I mean a DMZ that: ... > firewall but inside a less secure external firewall and not using NAT ... > internet connection and use the other connection for hosting of a web ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Exchange 2003 Front-end supported in DMZ ?
    ... the point is if it's supported when there is a NAT between DMZ and INTERNAL ... Usually In a back-to-to back firewall scenario first firewall(Internet - ... DMZ) it's NAT and second firewall is routing. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)