RE: NT "net use" Malfunctions

From: Mark L. Jackson (mark_l_jackson@iname.com)
Date: 07/19/01

From: "Mark L. Jackson" <mark_l_jackson@iname.com>
To: "centipede" <centiped@netvision.net.il>, <SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: NT "net use" Malfunctions
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:37:25 -0700

from Microsoft website:

----
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q106/2/11.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0&qry=system%20error%201219&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=NTS40

SYMPTOMS Windows NT does not allow you to make multiple connections to a shared network server from the same workstation if you attempt to use more than one set of credentials. If you attempt to make two or more connections to the same server using two or more sets of credentials, you will receive the following error message:

System error 1219 has occurred. The credentials supplied conflict with an existing set of credentials.

RESOLUTION To make the connection with the other account, disconnect the previous connection(s) to the server. This behavior is by design for security purposes.

MORE INFORMATION A set of credentials consists of a user name and a password. Both File Manager and NET USE allow you to specify a parameter that designates which user account you want to use when you connect to a server. If you make a connection to a server using one account, then make another connection to the same server using a different account (with the first connection still intact), you receive the above error message. To make the connection with the other account, disconnect the previous connection(s) to the server.

Steps to Reproduce Problem On your computer running Windows NT in the same domain as the server that you want to connect to, use File Manager connect to a share on the server. Do not type anything in the Connect As field.

Establish a second, separate connection to the same server, either to the same share or a different share on that server. This time, specify an account in the Connect As field. This account must be different than the one with which you are currently logged on.

Choose OK. The above error message appears.

Additional query words: prodnt