Re: Trusting localhost?

From: Justin Pryzby (justinpryzby_at_users.sf.net)
Date: 07/28/03

    Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:37:16 -0700
    To: secprog@securityfocus.com

    Apparently 0.0.0.0 as well.
    Justin
    On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:34:03PM +0000, Gerard Vignes wrote:

    > Just remember that there are at least 3 ways to reference a local host:
    > 127.0.0.1
    > localhost
    > machinename
    > These methods have different security implications.

    • Re: Limiting RMI to localhost
      ... Then I bound the server socket to the local host and it stopped ... working from localhost as well. ... reason to override equals() whatsoever. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: Form problems
      ... It is on the local host. ... >On your localhost or an online server ... >To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see: ...
      (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
    • Re: Illegal /etc/hosts syntax: multiple entries for 127.0.0.1 ?
      ... the local host. ... The conclusion is that "localhost." ... The reasons given include: ... is to all a reverse lookup to supply that particular name. ...
      (comp.unix.questions)
    • Re: localhost:4444
      ... Localhost is indeed the loopback network access to the local host. ... this refers to the port. ... The file /etc/services lists some ...
      (comp.sys.sgi.admin)
    • Re: Postfix errors in Logwatch
      ... Marc Schwartz wrote: ... If ghost.localhost.com is the local machine, ... then you should be using localhost and not ... There is no reference to ghost.localhost.com or the IP address that was ...
      (Fedora)