Re: Trusting localhost?

From: Justin Pryzby (
Date: 07/28/03

    Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:37:16 -0700

    Apparently as well.
    On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:34:03PM +0000, Gerard Vignes wrote:
    > Just remember that there are at least 3 ways to reference a local host:
    > localhost
    > machinename
    > These methods have different security implications.

    • Re: Limiting RMI to localhost
      ... Then I bound the server socket to the local host and it stopped ... working from localhost as well. ... reason to override equals() whatsoever. ...
    • Re: Form problems
      ... It is on the local host. ... >On your localhost or an online server ... >To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see: ...
    • Re: Illegal /etc/hosts syntax: multiple entries for ?
      ... the local host. ... The conclusion is that "localhost." ... The reasons given include: ... is to all a reverse lookup to supply that particular name. ...
    • Re: localhost:4444
      ... Localhost is indeed the loopback network access to the local host. ... this refers to the port. ... The file /etc/services lists some ...
    • Re: Postfix errors in Logwatch
      ... Marc Schwartz wrote: ... If is the local machine, ... then you should be using localhost and not ... There is no reference to or the IP address that was ...