Re: Are bad developer libraries the problem with M$ software?

From: Frank Knobbe (
Date: 11/22/02

    From: Frank Knobbe <>
    To: Andrew Dalgleish <>
    Date: 22 Nov 2002 09:31:48 -0600

    On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 16:57, Andrew Dalgleish wrote:

    > No, it would not. strncpy does NOT append the trailing 0 if the
    > length of the source is greater than or equal to the count.
    > Using sizeof(dst)-1 will leave the last byte in the buffer unchanged.
    > If dst is on the stack there is no guarantee the string is terminated.
    > To be sure, you would *also* need to add
    > dst[sizeof(dst)-1] = 0;
    > C'mon people, this really is beginner stuff.
    > Please RTFM before you post well-meaning advice.
    > You might also like to look at the bsd-style strlcpy/strlcat functions.

    I'm fully aware of that, and I have rtfm some years back. My comment was
    about the size definition.

    While you have the red pen in your hand, you might also want to point
    out that I considered the terminating null a single byte in the example
    of the wide character string functions. I don't use wide chars in my
    programs so I don't know if it's a single or double 0. But hey, while
    we're listing mistakes...

    It is sad to see how one gets chastised about typos and conceptual ideas
    (as opposed to list debugged code)...