Re: ascii output encryption needed as well

From: Tony Panero (Tony.Panero@eng.sun.com)
Date: 10/30/01

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:56:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Tony Panero <Tony.Panero@eng.sun.com>
Subject: Re: ascii output encryption needed as well
To: secprog@securityfocus.com, josh@ebard.net

The base64 suggestions you got are on the right track, but I suggest
you do a web search for "armored ascii" if the output is to a screen or
printout and if it will become input later on. The problem it solves
is dealing with the visual confusion among "O", "0", "I", "l", "1"
etc.

Tony

> Hello list, I echo SJ's need for symmetric encryption.
>
> I was recently delegated a project to build an secure serial
> number/registration number system. Our serial numbers are 18 chars long. We
> would like the output to be a-z, A-Z, 0-9
>
> One approach we have tried is simple xoring the serial string with a
> salt/key. The output, however, falls within 0-255. Not all of those values
> are representable in a string, some are control values, etc. An option to
> fix this is binhexing the string, but that doubles the length of the string,
> making 18 chars, 36 which is too long for a user.
>
> does anybody have any fix?
>
> Joshua P. Luben
> http://www.joshluben.newsmagic.com/
> PGP fprint: 5986 C8BD 8BDC 8024 397B 30EA 1E85 4FF9 EE85 C6F3

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ascii output encryption needed as well
    ... ascii output encryption needed as well ... > are representable in a string, some are control values, etc. ... > fix this is binhexing the string, but that doubles the length of the string, ... to the base 32 representation. ...
    (SecProg)
  • ascii output encryption needed as well
    ... Our serial numbers are 18 chars long. ... would like the output to be a-z, A-Z, 0-9 ... are representable in a string, some are control values, etc. ... fix this is binhexing the string, but that doubles the length of the string, ...
    (SecProg)
  • Re: ascii output encryption needed as well
    ... ascii output encryption needed as well ... I echo SJ's need for symmetric encryption. ... Our serial numbers are 18 chars long. ... > are representable in a string, some are control values, etc. ...
    (SecProg)
  • Re: [Emacs] Kommentieren
    ... ;; completely up to the user to decide, what the string ... "Chars preserved of STRING. ... `CHARS-PRESERVE' must be a parentized expression, ...
    (de.comp.editoren)
  • Re: FASTEST way to try all strings (a until ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)
    ... > It will be a very huge table so I in my opinion. ... > When it would be used, than it should be converted to a string, however ... >> How would an array of Byte be any faster then an array of Char? ... >> array of Byte is needed, however the OP suggested Chars (A to Z, a to z ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)