Best route to penetration testing learning

I'm new to penetration testing and recently took the CEH. I found that it was
pretty basic but I was wondering if people had some insight as to the best
route to take if you wanted to be a penetration testing engineer....

Any courses/books that are mandatory that will help get me on my way, or
other opinions as to how I can get into this?

Sent from the Penetration Testing mailing list archive at

This list is sponsored by: Information Assurance Certification Review Board

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.