Re: resources for system level security?

For Linux, a good starting point is a hardening guide by NSA:

Although it covers RHEL specifically, many points apply to other
distributions too.

I'd then also look at checklist provided by SANS Institute:

Guide to General Server Security from NIST is also worth mentioning:

These are a good starting point, not an exhaustive material on the
subject matter.

There are some good books that cover this; search your library.