Re: compiling exploit code

The coding syntax per se has NOT changed, it is a standard after all.
Implementation regarding specific features indeed does changes.
Visual Studio 6 is ancient history. While you do not specify what errors
you are getting and which exploit you try to compile, VS6 is out of date
and included irksome results for certain features (i.e. try some STL
code on VS6 and watch the chaos that is likely to ensue).

Perhaps your best bet would be to port the exploit to something more
modern (e.g. metasploit), if it's not already included there.