Re: OSCP ?

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Geoff Galitz <geoff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What audience are these courses geared towards?  I've been a sysadmin most
of my career (RHCE level).  Would this be an extreme switch for someone like
myself?

Hello Geoff.

If you've been doing in-depth sysadmin on Red Hat then I doubt you'd
have as much (if any) ramp up time for learning to work in the Linux
command line environment. The change for you would likely be learning
to look at things more offensively and trying to apply your skills
towards compromising systems.

The good news is, sometimes the best pen testers are people that have
a deep understanding of the platform and operating systems. Even if
you never plan to be a pen tester, learning to look at your own
systems from an offensive vantage point will give you a new
perspective on where you may need to beef up the defensive
infrastructure.

Give it a shot, I think you'll be fine if not ahead of the game. Good luck.

Scott

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org

  • Re: kill xterm kills app!
    ... Austin Isler said: ... i know what the & symbol is called, you can't be a sysadmin for 7+ years ... without learning that one. ... evidence of the fact. ...
    (Fedora)
  • oslevel changes after hard reboot
    ... We have a new sysadmin who is still learning and a little out ... ran AIX 4.3.3, and were upgraded to 5.1.0 about a year ago. ... University of California ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: SElinux
    ... learning how to deal with it. ... The logical extension that I add to that ... is this unwilling system admin is not professional and will take the ... an equally valid view is that the sysadmin in question has ...
    (Fedora)