Should nmap cause a DoS on cisco routers?

Hello,

Some days ago, I had the task to discover the SNMP version that our servers and networking devices use. So I run nmap using the following command:

nmap -sU -sV -p 161-162 -iL target_file.txt

This command was supposed to use UDP to probe ports 161 and 162, which are used for SNMP and SNMP Trap respectively, and return the SNMP version.

This "innocent" command caused most networking devices to crash and reboot, causing a Denial of Service attack and bringing down the network.

Now my question is.. Should this had happened? Can nmap bring the whole network down from one single machine?

Is this a configuration error of the networking devices?

This is scary...

Shang Tsung

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Should nmap cause a DoS on cisco routers?
    ... nmap scan ... I had the task to discover the SNMP version that our ... servers and networking devices use. ... This command was supposed to use UDP to probe ports 161 and ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: Should nmap cause a DoS on cisco routers?
    ... nmap scan ... I had the task to discover the SNMP version that our ... servers and networking devices use. ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Should nmap cause a DoS on cisco routers?
    ... During my training classes I always tell the -sV switch is dangerous and known to crash the target. ... Van: Shang Tsung ... I had the task to discover the SNMP version that our ... servers and networking devices use. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: How do I get the port on a switch that a PC is connected to.
    ... With SNMP there are two distinct concepts. ... "the command tcpConnLocalPort" - you ... If the switch maintains this information, you are in luck and you can ... The advantage of this method is you can directly get the port of the ...
    (comp.protocols.snmp)
  • Re: SNMP in rails
    ... net/snmp library for ruby and get and set methods of ... I'm guessing that the first snmpset command is used to reset port status ... The second command snmpget is used to read port reset status. ... I am using snmp library of ruby but need to pass the snmpset php ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)