Re: Decrypting PPTP network traffic

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Alexander Perchov
<alexperchov1969@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What I'm looking for is tools or ways to decrypt the network traffic
when you have the NT hash / password. Hope that clears it up.

I'm not aware of any public domain tools that can convert pcap ->
plaintext for PPTP tunnels. As I understand it, key derivation is the
challenge (pardon the pun) to getting the plaintext. Also, because
RC4 is used, completeness of your packet capture and reassembly is a
factor in decrypting the PPP packets within the stream.

But this is just my layman's understanding of it. I've not done this,
nor have I needed to. Typically, recovering credentials for a remote
VPN connection is more than sufficient for a properly scoped
penetration test.

PaulM

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org

  • RE: Perfect Storm part 1
    ... Subject: Perfect Storm part 1 ... Ultimate Penetration Test" ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ... Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Choosing an Independent Penetration Testing Firm
    ... See if they have published advisories (your pentesters had vulnerabilities discovered by their researchers) in field that you're going to ask them. ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ... Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Which Commercial Web App Scanner?
    ... so assuming that leaves WebInspect and Acunetix ... actually do a proper penetration test. ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: sniffing files from ftp session
    ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ... Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. ... IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Internal Penetration Testing