Re: Nessus, Harmful?

There are few plugins for destructive attacks like DOS in NESSUS. You
need to make sure that they are unchecked before running the scan.

Regards,
Himanshu

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Shohn Trojacek <trojacek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I've brought down my fair share of devices using Nessus, so I would
always advise the client as to the residual risk and if possible try
to do this under a change request. Generally, I ask that a couple
people be clued into my activities, but not to tell the entire IT
department so as to spoil the testing if this is on a penetration
test.

I've had good success when running safe checks, disable DoS, etc.

Once, several years ago I had hacked up nessus a bit into what could
only be described as a "scanning cluster". I found that I was able to
reboot Cisco catalyst switches about every 10 minutes when I had 16
machines running scans in parallel. This is an extreme example though.

I've had other scanners including various Web app scanners bring
things down too. In some cases, I had a replication of the production
environment and then scanned the "mock" production environement when
availability was more concerning than confidentiality.

Generally, I've found it better to just be straight forward and honest
about the risks and this calms people. If you seem skittish, they will
be too.

Godspeed,

Shohn