Your opinion about online courses

EHLO,

What are your opinions about the online/on demand courses that are
offered by Offensive Security, SANS, etc?
I realize that it demands some kind of self-discipline when it comes
to dedicate time and so on, but besides that, is it just a waste of
money?
Is it better to spend the money on books and the time on reading and nmap -iR ?

I also realize that a course led by an instructor gives you much more,
but this question is about the online courses.

Thank you for your reply

/ A.F