Re: Format of SAM File

David Howe wrote:
Hernandez IV, Miguel wrote:
All,

Looking for a reference that describes the format of the windows SAM
file. From what I can tell, the first column is the username and third
column is the password hash, but I want to know what information is
contained in the other columns. Google searches on "format windows SAM
file", "understand windows SAM file", and other related searches have
proved frustrating. I should mention that the SAM file was obtained
using pwdump6 in case that is relevant. The format I am seeing is as
follows:

Username:number:password hash:another hash?:blank:blank:blank

That looks right for pwdump.

the two hashes are from the LM (first 8 chars of password, in upper
case) and NT (full password, case sensitive) spaces respectively

just checked the docs, actual format is:

UserName:RID:LMhash:NThash:FullName,Description:HomeDirectory

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org

  • Re: Format of SAM File
    ... Google searches on "format windows SAM ... using pwdump6 in case that is relevant. ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Format of SAM File
    ... Looking for a reference that describes the format of the windows SAM ... lanman and ntlm are two different types of hashes -- lanman is weak, ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Format of SAM File
    ... Looking for a reference that describes the format of the windows SAM ... the first column is the username and third ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Format of SAM File
    ... Looking for a reference that describes the format of the windows SAM ... the first column is the username and third ... Information Assurance Certification Review Board ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Problems with textread and date formats
    ... > My idea was to read in the first column as a string and to then ... > the textread command also. ... > 2.Is it possible to specify a date format for time data just like ... > Thanking you, Ravi ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)