Re: Format of SAM File

Hernandez IV, Miguel wrote:
All,

Looking for a reference that describes the format of the windows SAM
file. From what I can tell, the first column is the username and third
column is the password hash, but I want to know what information is
contained in the other columns. Google searches on "format windows SAM
file", "understand windows SAM file", and other related searches have
proved frustrating. I should mention that the SAM file was obtained
using pwdump6 in case that is relevant. The format I am seeing is as
follows:

Username:number:password hash:another hash?:blank:blank:blank

That looks right for pwdump.

the two hashes are from the LM (first 8 chars of password, in upper
case) and NT (full password, case sensitive) spaces respectively