RE: Botnets

Try a google search http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sans+botnet the first link is to a SANS paper that should give you the basics.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of M.D.Mufambisi
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:52 PM
To: pen-test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Botnets

Hi Guys.

Can someone please explain to me how botnets use IRC? I want to make a
presentation to my group demonstrating this in my lab which comprises
of 4 winxp boxes. Unpatched. How are commands issued via IRC?

Kind regards,

Munyaradzi

Tired of using other people's tools? Why not learn how to write your own exploits? InfoSec Institute's Advanced Ethical Hacking class teaches you how to write stack and heap buffer overflow exploits for Windows and Linux. Gain your Certified Expert Penetration Tester (CEPT) cert as well.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/advanced_ethical_hacking_training.html

No time or budget for traveling to a training course in this fiscal year? Check out the online penetration testing courses available at InfoSec Institute. More than a boring "talking head", train in our virtual labs for a total hands-on training experience. Get the certs you need as well: CEH, CPT, CEPT, ECSA, LPT.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/request_online_training.html

  • Re: Botnets
    ... The botnets will log into a usually private IRC channel, ... InfoSec Institute ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Botnets
    ... watched videos, downloaded and configured a bot....i now understand ... Can someone please explain to me how botnets use IRC? ... InfoSec Institute ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Botnets
    ... How are commands issued via IRC? ... Subject: Botnets ... presentation to my group demonstrating this in my lab which comprises ... InfoSec Institute ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Botnets
    ... We are talking about IRC botnets... ... infect the system in the first place. ... block 443 will help you with security, ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Botnets
    ... Can someone please explain to me how botnets use IRC? ... i recopiled some info of botnets on my forensics... ... outcomming connections is allowed by default. ... firewalls can and often do control outgoing connections. ...
    (Pen-Test)