Re: Smells Funny: Looking for help against Chinese Hacking Team

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM, jc <antihacker.jc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
While I can't speak for others, by nature I'm paid to be paranoid.
It goes with the
career, that and realizing no one will exclaim, "Thanx for keeping us safe"
-- rather, more
like, "Why couldn't you keep us safe...?" The negatives are expounded long
before the
positives....metrics, people, information be dammed (your 'Atta-Boy!'
mileage may vary)...

Nothing wrong with being paranoid... within bounds. Sometimes they
really are out to get you. I say this after roughly a week on limited
sleep dealing with something.

...So when I look back on the thread, with further research on stings,
setups, and phishing
scenarios, I get the feeling this was some kind of troll, some kind of
experiment, some kind of
juicy target, a lawful honeypot if you will.

Looked back at the thread. Maybe so, maybe no.
Does anyone else get the same sort of creepy-crawly feeling? When I look
at the way it was
written, and the obvious vulnerabilities/clues given, it smells to good to
be true. Or is this level
of innate incompetence the norm?

I would argue that this level of competence IS the norm, particularly
from people who think they are going to get a $200 solution to their
security emergency.

Do I need to leave the building and get some fresh air? Speak Human instead
of Binary?
Or does something not smell right about the whole thing a month later?

Whatever works for you. I try to deal with things as dispassionately
as possible. Why does it matter if it is a troll or not? It's a pretty
open list so I assume that there are trolls and that there are
watchers here.

Just a few thoughts.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT - To the Idiot
    ... _THIS_ thread is the 'crap of the day'. ... Norm Nowrecki had only been inside Momma's Basement for five minutes ... as was always the case with troll bars. ... post because I thought everybody had their filters set to block everybody ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: OT - To the Idiot
    ... _THIS_ thread is the 'crap of the day'. ... Norm Nowrecki had only been inside Momma's Basement for five minutes ... hide the fact that this was a troll bar devoid of female inhabitants, ... as was always the case with troll bars. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: OT - To the Idiot
    ... _THIS_ thread is the 'crap of the day'. ... Norm Nowrecki had only been inside Momma's Basement for five minutes ... hide the fact that this was a troll bar devoid of female inhabitants, ... as was always the case with troll bars. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: OT - To the Idiot
    ... _THIS_ thread is the 'crap of the day'. ... Norm Nowrecki had only been inside Momma's Basement for five minutes ... hide the fact that this was a troll bar devoid of female inhabitants, ... as was always the case with troll bars. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Norm Nowrecki - Pat Of Goodbye-#3
    ... Norm Nowrecki - TheTale To This Point ... "Norm Nowrecki, Troll Tracker." ... where Norm had captured their leader (Fetus Fudgepacker) ...
    (rec.woodworking)