Re: Certifications: Not worth the paper they are printed on?

Replying to original message, but in a very general way...

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

All,

Yesterday I was reading a blog where someone with no security experience
whatsoever was grousing that they flunked the Security+ exam. The
blogger also claimed to have over 100 certifications. In my opinion,
that many certifications undoubtedly qualifies this blogger to be the
Poster Boy for everything that is wrong with the certification process.

<snip>

A degree is just another form of certification. What are those worth?

Kurt

Security Trends Report from Cenzic
Stay Ahead of the Hacker Curve!
Get the latest Q2 2008 Trends Report now

www.cenzic.com/landing/trends-report

  • Re: To go to University - For the CISSP etc. - Good idea/Bad idea???
    ... I'd be majoring in Security of course... ... I studied IT - Networking at Technical College, ... But yes, I do have all those certifications, the 3 Cisco ones I did at ... Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: CEH program and Sybex Study Guide
    ... CEH program and Sybex Study Guide ... I am now focusing on security as my carrer. ... various certifications and the likes to plan out what I may consider ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: To go to University - For the CISSP etc. - Good idea/Bad idea???
    ... I'd be majoring in Security of course... ... I studied IT - Networking at Technical College, ... But yes, I do have all those certifications, the 3 Cisco ones I did at ... The main reasons I made this decision are; ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: CISSP
    ... I really don't use Linux" from people that do security ... SecPros out there that use/code in Windows - most of the people that can ... certs REALLY helped me professionally, ... There are certifications and there are certifications. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: OSCP
    ... If you actually do real security, OSCP is a bullshit cert just like ... These certifications have merit because there is real ... Security Trends Report from Cenzic ...
    (Pen-Test)