Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing

From the "Set your watch back 24 years" department:

PUBLISHED BY
NEIGHBORHOOD NETWORK WATCH
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
WASHINGTON, DC 20528

How To Sniff Network Traffic
Neighborhood Network Watch Home Network Awareness Program

[snip]
Finding a Network
We recommend to start with your own home network and then eventually move
onto those of your neighbors. Eventually you could begin looking at networks that are
local to your community, such as cafés, local eateries, libraries, and parks.
There are many ways you can find a network to monitor if you do not have one of
your own or if your ready to move onto monitoring networks other than your own. On
the next four pages are four ways and places to find wireless networks that maybe
suitable.
[snip]
The Command
The command in figure 1 will be the full command that you will be typing into your
command line to run TCPDUMP to capture all network traffic from the network to a file.
TCPDUMP will collect network traffic that is coming from the following types of
applications: email clients, instant message clients, instant relay chat clients (IRC), file
transfer protocol clients (FTP), and web browsers.

http://www.dhsnnw.org/HNAPDocs/NNW-HNAP-How%20To%20Sniff%20Wireless%20Traffic.pdf

Interesting screenshot about halfway down of what's on the PowerBook.

I need to see a Chiropractor.
I've been shaking my head side-to-side so much lately my cervical vertebrae need some help.

--Michael

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

  • RE: Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing
    ... Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing ... How To Sniff Network Traffic ... Neighborhood Network Watch Home Network Awareness Program ... email clients, instant message clients, instant relay chat clients, file ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing
    ... What does the Neighborhood Network Watch do? ... Registrant ID:NF-OWNER-47814 ... email clients, instant message clients, instant relay chat ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux-compatible wireless access cards
    ... > I think I've yet to see an 802.11g network, ... > speeds, and had 802.11g only clients. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing
    ... How To Sniff Network Traffic ... Neighborhood Network Watch Home Network Awareness Program ... email clients, instant message clients, instant relay chat clients, file ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: IP address assignment problem
    ... I have a little problem and seek for ur thoughts, let's assume I'm in a very open environment where everyone can very easily try to get his/her laptop on the network and IP addresses are assigned by a DHCP server and we are in a domain environment, how do I prevent machines that are not part of our domain to be assigned an IP address? ... This approach doesn't stop your rogue clients from connecting to other clients, but merely doesn't give them the information they normally need to do so. ... Using 802.1x, your workstations authenticate through the switch to a radius server before they are allowed any connectivity. ... This authentication can use X.509 certificates, computer account credentials from AD, or whatever else you'd normally configure radius to authenticate with. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)