From: Radu Oprisan <radu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jason Thompson <securitux@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: LordDoskias <lorddoskias@xxxxxxxxx>; xx yy <thenucker2004@xxxxxxxxx>; pen-test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:52:45 AM
Subject: Re: anonymous Zonetransfer (AXFR) exploatation

Ok, ok, so i used the verb in the wrong way :).
I was just amazed at "should be considered". I myself still try it from
time to time, but in this part of the world (yeah, i know Romania has a
bad reputation) it seldom works.
So, let's stick to the matter at hand: i agree, it should be part of a
standard pen-test if there are no specific laws against using it even in
test conditions.

Cheers,
Radu Oprisan

Jason Thompson wrote:
Were? I still do them and find axfr's allowed... not a lot, but for
the 10 seconds it takes to check there's been a few times where I've
downloaded an AD domains' worth of hosts. Even just getting a list of
hosts with a few interesting CNAME entries can give you a few
potential targets or point to domains you weren't previously aware of.

-J

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Radu Oprisan <radu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

LordDoskias wrote:

> The best thing that I can think if to use the information obtained
> from the zone transfer. Perhaps some "private" hosts will come up that
> you can look into? To my mind AXFR transfers should be considered as
> part of the reconnaissance stage of a pen-test.

Actually, they were, a long time ago.

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

  • Re: anonymous Zonetransfer (AXFR) exploatation
    ... Perhaps some "private" hosts will come up ... To my mind AXFR transfers should be ... The Fierce DNS bruteforcer tries an AXFR first, and if not successful, ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • bind9 and AXFR/allow-transfer
    ... I know I can use ACLs to setup what hosts can AXFR with allow-transfer, ... but I'm wondering if there is a way to only allow transfers to hosts ...
    (Debian-User)