Re: Wardriving with Yagi Antennas

On 10/20/07, Terry Cutler <jedi31337@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi guys hope your weekend is good so far. Does anyone have any
experience with teh Yagi Antenna booster ? They claim it can boost up
to 10 miles. Just wonder if anyone has used it while wardriving. Maybe
there's a better antenna you'd recommend ?

Yagi isn't a brand, it's a type of directional antenna. More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yagi_antenna

And as a directional antenna, it's not ideal for wardriving. An omni
(as in omnidirectional) antenna would probably work better.

With regard to the 10mi throw, I call baloney. First, it's not
possible with any antenna on the ground because of the curvature of
the Earth. Second, I've worked with DSSS RF long-range networks in
the past (both 915MHz and 2.4GHz) and the longest throw I've seen on
an unregistered towair[1] mast was 7 miles using yagis and amplifiers
on both ends. Using a similar setup, 10mi would be on the ragged edge
of reliable/usable for actual data networking.

PaulM

[1] http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/towairSearch.jsp

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

  • Re: yagis, yogis and other methods of twisting things (was: Re: How to calculate increase of home wi
    ... yagi 15 $65 $4.3 ... antenna might be suitable for temporary installation, ... approximately the same gain antennas, ... it to a 15dbi bbq-type dish, it is 5dbi lower in signal strength. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: On Installing Windows
    ... > | built one for a guy that had Yagi quad ... > If you had a Yagi antenna "melt down" it was not properly created and thus ... I only built the amp, he assured me the antenna was set up correctly; ... did was to deliver the amp, load test it using a dummy load. ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Yagi Question: Freq. Coverage Range
    ... Yagi antenna ... application requires decent directionality and a wide frequency ... for VHF low-band, and on their third harmonic for VHF high-band. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.antenna)
  • Re: Setting up a temporary long-distance wifi for a science experiment
    ... with a stable internet connection between them. ... differential timing measurements between the two stations. ... I'm going to connect two of the antenna jacks to ... directional Yagis ('WiFi Antenna | 14 Element WiFi Yagi Antenna' ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Piano Wire Antenna for Experimental Rocket
    ... You have demonstrated that it works when the rocket is nearly 10 miles ... Are you able to improve the ground based antenna The equipment you now ... I am familiar with the Helix antenna and the Yagi, ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.antenna)