By going in and telling the owner or manager of the location that their wireless is 'insecure' and that "I'm here to help. Here is my card" is a sure invitation to get kicked out. Its one thing to be helpful and say he might an issue - its quite a another to say "hire me to fix it".

But go ahead and do it - I've gotten quite a lot of business due to - other- companies using this tactic as a marketing gimmick.

t.s

On Sep 5, 2007, at 7:21 AM, swinginscott wrote:

I think you would agree that a locksmith going around a neighborhood, opening doors then telling each family they need help would be an acceptable practice. Unwanted, or forced entry is just that, unwanted. Remember, an unlocked door is never an invitation to come inside under any circumstance.

If the SSID is something like, "Joe's Office", I think the ethical thing would be to locate Joe's Office and go inside to offer your services. Just tell them, I noticed that your wireless network is unsecure. Then you could pitch your audit by saying things like, "With your unsecure network here are some of the things that can happen, I would be glad to show you a demonstration if you'll authorize it." Then once they agree, you can go outside and print the page on the printer without felonious access ;)

You'll get the same point across to the customer, without breaking the law.

~ Scott

----- Original Message ----
From: Barry Fawthrop <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: pen-test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2007 9:57:10 PM
Subject: Where is the Wireless line?

Hi All

Where does the wireless line being and end with regards to "illegal access"

Concept:

If company A has a wireless network (unprotected) No Encryption,
Broadcasting SSID, Default Acesss point user_name and password.

You know they need security. So is it wrong to
access the network and print to their printer a document
saying "You need security, I just accessed your network"

Or would one have to have permission first!.
I'm not talking about accessing data and files, but using the printer
and printing on their paper that they need help!!!.
And then going in and asking for a security contract having proved
beyond doubt that they need it.

Otherwise before hand it is just your word & experience against theirs
and obviously they are not going to admit they need help without being
shown?

Curious to hear your comments, or possible solutions to the same/ similar
problems??

Thanks
Barry

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

Need to secure your web apps NOW?
Cenzic finds more, "real" vulnerabilities fast.
Click to try it, buy it or download a solution FREE today!

http://www.cenzic.com/downloads

  • Re: Very slow internet speeds
    ... my connection got slower and slower. ... download speed is now closer to 10kb/s. ... I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless ... When I put the router back into the network, ...
  • Re: cant reply to newsgroup
    ... I trieed to download the driver and it acted like it was downloading until the end and then nothing happened. ... No wireless shows on Device manager. ... control panel>connect to network>manage networks I get the following message" The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements for the network" What does that mean? ... have entered the server name correctly. ...
  • Re: Wireless Connection Problems
    ... but my older Compaq laptop is still having problems ... "finding/seeing" my wireless network. ... download a patch from Belkin's webpage for my wireless card. ... found the network and even connected to it. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Download via wireless
    ... Can one use a high speed connection via wireless to download files, or are there some problems with wireless connections which make them impractical for downloads? ... In theory, the wireless connection is slower; in practice, many other factors affect speed as much or more than the wireless connection will. ... Besides, if you are on an in-house network, business or home, the number of people accessing the network at any one time will have a greater effect on overall speed of network traffic than the difference between wired and wireless. ... hardware and number of connections at their end can have a drastic effect on your download speed. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Where is the Wireless line?
    ... Where is the Wireless line? ... If company A has a wireless network No Encryption, ... You know they need security. ... buy it or download a solution FREE today! ...
    (Pen-Test)